Mrs Helene Boonin, BSc(Hons), DipCOT, is a private Occupational Therapist with over 30 years experience in assessment and rehabilitation of individuals with a variety of upper limb conditions, including Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Brachial Plexus Injury, Congenital Deformities, Acute Trauma, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and Orthopaedics.
Helene has worked in private practice since November 2004. She currently offers her services at the Spire Leeds Hospital, Elland Spire Hospital, Nuffield Hospital Leeds, as well as seeing clients privately. Helene has extensive experience in Thermoplastic Splinting, performing Functional Capacity Evaluations, Hand Assessments and Workplace Assessments.
Clinical skills are maintained by regularly attending courses, conferences, in-service training (through membership of Helene’s professional association) and other special interest groups. She undertakes twice-yearly peer review with an experienced colleague.
Areas of Clinical Expertise:
- Thermoplastic splinting
- Hand Therapy
- Scar Management
- Desensitisation Techniques
- Joint Protection
- Hand and Upper Limb Injuries
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Reconstructive/ Plastic Surgery
- Sports Injuries
- Rheumatological – Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis
- Industrial/Work Injuries
- Splinting: A specialised splinting service is offered. The splints are custom-made and can be provided for many different purposes, such as joint protection, stretching or preventing contractures, following surgical intervention, supporting weakened joints, resting swollen or arthritic limbs and improving function.
- Hand Therapy: Following a detailed upper limb assessment, a tailored programme of hand therapy exercise and rehabilitation can be provided to improve range of movement, grip strength and function.
- Specialist Equipment: Following a detailed assessment of need, specialist equipment can be recommended and sourced to aid independence and safety.
- Scar Management and Desensitisation: A variety of treatment modalities are used to improve the texture and appearance of scars, as well as teaching desensitisation techniques to reduce hypersensitivity.
- Joint Protection: Expert advice on joint protection techniques for all rheumatological conditions can be included as part of the treatment offered.
- Workplace Assessment: Can be carried out to assess an individual’s capacity to return to work following accident or illness, and recommendations can be made for a graded return to work and/or work modifications.
- Case Management: As a member of the Independence Works panel of Occupational Therapists, Helene also undertakes Case Management for clients following injury or accident.
- Medico-legal: Helene is an Associate Member of “Julie Jennings & Associates” undertaking Medico-legal Care Expert Reports on behalf of both defendants and claimants.